Friday, March 23, 2012 by Chris
With the introduction of Facebook’s new timeline format, many companies are left wondering how to best use this updated appearance to engage customers and increase visibility for their products and services. Here are 10 ways that businesses can take advantage of Facebook’s fresh look to increase the value of their social media presence and create custom channels for communicating with potential customers more effectively:
1. Incorporate topical material. Facebook users will be more open to posts that include mentions of current events and news items relevant to their needs.
2. Be brief, but get your point across. Shorter posts are more likely to be read than lengthy articles or advertisements.
3. Take advantage of the improved look to inform potential customers about your plans. The timeline feature can serve as a record of past events and a schedule for future sales and promotions.
4. Partner with other companies to cross-promote. An agency alliance can create synergy and increase the potential customer base for both parties.
5. Provide opportunities for interaction. Facebook is an ideal way to start a dialogue, play a game or simply connect with consumers more easily.
6. Diversify your content. Most online companies have heard this advice before, but with the release of the Facebook timeline, this diversification is more critical than ever before.
7. Get the timing right. The majority of Facebook users are active in the late evening, so scheduling announcements for this time of day is usually preferable as opposed to morning or afternoon posts that may be missed by a younger demographic.
8. Don’t neglect search engine optimization techniques. Smart SEO practices can draw users to your Facebook page even if they aren’t currently logged in to the system.
9. Consider adding a premier search directory or function to your Facebook presence. This can help consumers who locate you on Facebook explore your product lines and learn more about your corporate enterprises.
10. Have fun with it! Humor is a great way to reach potential customers and ensure they come away with a good impression of your company. While a lighthearted approach may not be right for every company, most can benefit from a touch of humor on their Facebook page.
These ten tips can help your company navigate the new Facebook timeline and the social media environment more effectively while benefiting from novel ways to reach customers online.
How is your business planning to adjust to the new timeline?